Transperth services will begin operating from the new $217 million underground Perth Busport on Sunday, July 17, the Western Australian Government announced last week.
Transport Minister Dean Nalder said the project would revolutionise bus travel in the CBD, with the new busport designed to accommodate 50 per cent more bus movements than the old Wellington Street Bus Station.
“This project has involved demolishing the old, above-ground Wellington Street Bus Station in 2014 and replacing it with a world-class underground facility,” Mr Nalder said.
“Sinking the complex railway track system and the bus station has significantly transformed the centre of our capital city.
“The State Government has delivered a long-term plan and vision to reconnect Northbridge and the CBD and set the stage for a blend of open space, plazas and walkways, and existing, new and future developments.”
Passengers will have the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the new facility at a public open day on Saturday, July 16, before it opens for operations the next day.
The Perth Busport is fully air-conditioned, features 160 seats, 16 bus stands, two bus entrance-exits, toilets and baby change facilities, and two kiosks.
There are three entry points at Yagan Square, Queen and King streets. Each entry point has lifts, stairs and escalators to move passengers between the ground level and underground lounge levels.